Thursday, July 07, 2005

London Bombing: first hand account

today was really really fucked up, (if your looking for gore, then this isnt the right place.)

I don't know how I am writing this now, I was caught up in two bomb incidents.

it started lastnight, I accently set my alarm clock from 6 'am' to 'pm' so I woke up later than normal. I spoke to my girlfriend before leaving so I was running around 10 - 20 mins late. I got to the bus stop, having two routes to work 149 to Liverpool st or 67 to Aldgate, the first bus that came was the 67.

Aldgate station


Arriving at Aldgate, I was rushing, my only thoughts at that point was umm...should I get a coffee and get a copy of the metro (free newspaper) I didn't get a coffee and there was no free papers in the stand so I just went through to catch my train, good news my train was in the station platform 3 the metropolitan, I quickly jumped on one of the carriage an empty one and sat down, the train started to move, I picked up one of the papers left on the seat and opened the back page, started reading ''French lash out after bid failure' then a big bang.

After the bomb went off




my ears were ringing, I was confused, the 2 people sitting a few seats away in front of me were just carrying on reading the paper like nothing as happened, the train had stop, I though it was the breaks as someone has killed themselves, a few seconds later I looked behind me, and that was a different view, I could see through into the next carriage that three people were panicking trying to get off the locked train, banging on the window, and shouting one of the station staff started using a key to open the doors telling people to get out of the station as fast as you can, I did I ran up the stairs and out of the station, I did not look back.


I got out of the station, and phoned work, I told my boss that there was a bang or something on the train and I am going to walk to Liverpool st, and try and get a train from there - I don't think he believed me, so I headed off to Liverpool st.

I don't really know where it is from where I was but I gave it ago, I could now hear the sirens, I phoned my girlfriend, and spoke to her about what happed, telling her that I am shaken and freaked out, getting off the phone I when in to a coffee shop and got a coffee, and headed towards Liverpool st. as im getting closer to the station from broadgate, passing the gherkin and the Lloyds building. people were just acting normally so I thought it was just confined to Aldgate, till I got closer to the station all the roads were blocked off and all of the emergency services were there so I knew it was major. I asked one of the policemen in a car at that moment pulled up to stop people trying to get through to the station, I asked him 'is the trains still running,' 'no' 'is this related to Aldgate,I have just come from there' he replied 'yes' I decided to walk to Moorgate.

From the frying pan to the fire




On my way to Morgate I phoned work telling them I was going to be later than I expected, they were fine with that, across the road a man in his 30s was shouting I turned to my right to watch him grab a bloke in his 40s on a bike, he was pointing back up the street and shouting, the cyclist must have hit his car or something, I continued walking I could see up ahead that Morgate station was closed, but lucky for me the bus stop is directly outside of the station, getting to the bus stop two buses pulled up both 205 there were was a large queue, I was able to squeeze in, or push-in to give the correct term.

Getting on the bus I headed to the top deck and got a window sat a few seats near the back, a women in her 30s sat next to me, people were on their mobile phones, talking and trying to find out what was happening to the trains today and so was the women next to me, I told her my story about Aldgate and the events that lead me to be sitting on the bus with her, my phone alerted me I had a text, it was from my girlfriend Debbie -
It was on metropolitan line between Aldgate & lpool, kingx old st. Stratford closed was caused by a power surge. you ok now?
Time of text 09:35 am.

I told the women next to me this news, we were both relieved that's all it was we joked that it was the French, bombing London over the fact they lost the Olympics bid yesterday. we both laughed over that, another text from Debbie -
Nother one at Edgware
Time of text 09:36 am.


fuck I though this is crazy all of London is going to out, the good news is that the trains should be up and running by rush hour tonight, another text from Debbie -
I love you.xxx
Time of text 09:37 am.


That made me smile. The bus continued on towards Kings cross, the traffic was slow, there seemed nothing out of the ordinary apart from a lot of police and a hell of a lot of people in the area, so it was looking more likely to be the power surge I got told, the women next to me was heading towards Paddington, the bus was so slow she decided to walk the rest of the way into work, I don't know if she ever got to work or if she was alright, I hope so, she seemed like a nice person.

At the next bus stop a fat black lady almost sat on me that really annoys me when people do that its like I'm not there or they are so fat they need to have two seats to themselves. As we got near to kings cross station I could see a lot of police standing in the road in front of the bus a few meters ahead, next they hurrying, a few started to tap up the road a head of us, and about fithteen of them started running towards us and the bus next to us, I thought ooh something's happening I wonder what it is -


next a voice came through the driver's speakers 'Get off the bus there is a bomb!'
the bus was in a panic, I haven't seen fat people move so fast in all my life, people started to scream, next a few voices shouted stay claim I think I was one can't remember and we all did, the next minute or so was the most freighting experiences in all my life, what kept going through my head 'fuck I'm I going to died on this shitty bus', 'am I going to make it, i'm I going to die', 'am I going to make it', over and over in my head, my beathing started getting faster 'come on move it', 'please get off the fucking bus'. I apologised to a blond women in front of me for nudging her, I think she didn't mind in the circumstance.
to be continued...

politics_,

4 Comments:

Blogger Lee said...

Mate, it could have been close with me too. Had a job interview at New street right opposite Liverpool st staton. Glad it was 9:30am and not 9am.

Glad that you are safe and well.

Lee.

10:07 am  
Blogger ChrisW said...

Who are you? Joseph the jinx?? Seriously, glad you are OK. Thats a real story for the grand children mate!

Do yerself a favour dude....move out of london. Its safer! :-)

10:14 am  
Blogger Barb said...

So glad you are ok honey, Too close for comfort hey!

Love Barb x

11:12 am  
Blogger chocodeb said...

id agree with chris and get out of london!
bristol sounds good to me !

8:38 pm  

Post a Comment

4 Comments:

Blogger Lee said...

Mate, it could have been close with me too. Had a job interview at New street right opposite Liverpool st staton. Glad it was 9:30am and not 9am.

Glad that you are safe and well.

Lee.

10:07 am  
Blogger ChrisW said...

Who are you? Joseph the jinx?? Seriously, glad you are OK. Thats a real story for the grand children mate!

Do yerself a favour dude....move out of london. Its safer! :-)

10:14 am  
Blogger Barb said...

So glad you are ok honey, Too close for comfort hey!

Love Barb x

11:12 am  
Blogger chocodeb said...

id agree with chris and get out of london!
bristol sounds good to me !

8:38 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home