Take ‘The Israel Challenge’ and Help Margaret Beckett See The Light
"The Israel Challenge"
- Turn off your power supply at the mains
- Turn off your water supply at the mains
- Stop using all forms of transportation
- Stop going to work, school or college
- Reduce your food intake to a minimum and eat sporadically
- Ask your neighbour to play loud music all through the night
Do this until we tell you to stop!
If you take the challenge, you will have some idea of the conditions faced by thousands of Gazans right now.
Help Margaret Beckett See The Light!!
If you can't stomach the 'Israel Challenge', then we ask you to send a tealight/candle to Foreign Minister Margaret Beckett now, asking her to forward it to the people of Gaza. She has refused to condemn the Israeli attack against Gaza – maybe thousands of tealights will make her see the light.
The Rt. Hon. Margaret Beckett
Foreign and Commonwealth Office
King Charles Street
London SW1A 2AH
Sample letter to the Foreign Offcie to be sent with the candles:
Dear Rt. Hon. Margaret Beckett, Foreign Secretary
During the early hours of 28 June 2006, the Israeli Occupation Force launched a ground offensive into Gaza. As part of the assault, the Israeli Air Force attacked three bridges and the Gaza City power station, cutting power to much of the area.
The transformer station is also used to help pump water. As the power has been severed, the water cannot be pumped and Gazans are unable to access water. As a result, some 860,000 residents in Gaza are currently without electricity and running water.
The situation is further exacerbated by the use of sonic booms, whereby low flying planes break the sound barrier over Gaza to fulfill Prime Minister Ehud Olmert's order that no one should be able to sleep at night in Gaza.
The Israeli army has seized half of the democratically elected government and a quarter of the elected MPs inside the Occupied Palestinian Territories.
According to The Palestinian Environmental NGOs Network (Pengon):
The public health and safety and environmental hazards stemming from the damage caused to infrastructure as a result of this military operation include:
- water shortages
- contamination of any remaining drinking water
- uncontrolled discharge and flow of untreated sewage in the streets, resulting in groundwater pollution
- pollution of agricultural land which Gazans will be unable to cultivate to harvest crops, negatively impacting their earning power
- damage to marine life as untreated wastewater flows into the sea
- migration of fish to other parts of the coast, resulting in a reduction in the number of fish caught and, concomitantly, money earned by Gazan fishermen
- direct exposure to untreated wastewater in open systems
- indirect human health risks due to the consumption of polluted crops and fish
- an increase in waterborne acute and infectious diseases as a result of additional viruses, bacteria and protozoa in the water.
These are likely to cause serious illnesses ranging from gastroenteritis and cholera to liver failure and death.
Once again the British Government remains silent in the face of the latest round of collective punishment inflicted on the people of the Occupied Palestinian Territories.
Please forward this candle to the people of Gaza as a token of my support during this current crisis.
Please can you also assure me that the British government will:
- Immediately work for the restoration of EU aid to the Palestinian authority.
- Demand that Israel ends it blockade and restore Palestinian taxes to the Palestinian Authority.
- Demand that Israel ceases all military action in the Occupied Territories.
- Apply pressure through the United Nations for Israel to respect the UN resolutions requires its withdrawal from the territories it illegally occupied in 1967.
- Demand the release of all elected Palestinian officials held by Israel and a program for the release of all prisoners held in violation of international law.
More information/actions to be taken.
Emergency in Palestine - Israel holds an entire nation hostage
The Israeli government's assault on the Palestinian people has reached a new and terrifying level.
. Imposed a brutal blockade on the Palestinians, resulting in deliberate starvation . Destroyed Gaza's water and electricity supplies, creating death and disease . Destroyed vital bridges and roads . Killed 51 Palestinians including 20 children in June 2006 alone . Imprisoned 10,000 Palestinian political prisoners including 100 women and 300 children . Arrested half the elected government and a quarter of elected MPs
The government of Israel must:
. Stop violating international law and UN resolutions . End the collective punishment of the Palestinians . Stop the shelling and bombing of Gaza . End its illegal occupation of the West Bank, Gaza and East Jerusalem and remove its settlements . Respect the right of the Palestinians to a viable independent state . Respect the right of return of refugees . Dismantle its illegal apartheid wall built on stolen Palestinian land
We desperately need a targeted response from all in this current emergency.
We ask you to call your MP now and arrange to meet him/her asap.
MPs must insist Israel end its aggression against Gaza now and abide by international law. It has been over a week and our Foreign Office has not condemned Israel's continued attack on Gaza or raised the issue of this act of collective punishment being against international law.
Britain has an arms trade agreement with Israel and these weapons are being used against Palestinians right now in Gaza - we must demand Britain end this agreement.
The British government must condemn the war crimes of the Israeli government.
To find your MPS telephone number go to www.upmystreet.com/commons/l/
If you are in the constituency of Kim Howells or Margaret Beckett please call us now so we can discuss specific actions at their surgeries.
Call 020 7700 6192.
Contact your MEPs to call for EU funding to be fully reinstated to the Palestinian Authority.
To find your MEP go to www.europarl.org.uk/uk_meps/MembersMain.htm
PSC urgently need funds to respond appropriately during this current emergency. We want to do media adverts etc. We urge you to have collections at local meetings, mosques, churches and other places of worship and help the PSC to campaign effectively during such emergencies. Donations can be made by card - so if you have a collection or would like to make an individual donation PLEASE CALL US NOW on 020 7700 6192 in order to make a card payment.
During this crucial time we all need to monitor the media and ring immediately to complain when clear pro-Israeli bias is being used to misrepresent the situation.
For media contacts go to www.arabmediawatch.com/amw/Default.aspx?tabid=150
Palestine Solidarity Campaign
Box BM PSA
Tel: 020 7700 6192
Fax: 020 7609 7779